Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TWD: Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie

I think many people get into food blogging because they read a lot of food blogs, think it looks like fun, and decide to start a blog themselves. I, however, had never read a food blog before I started food blogging, other than my friend Amanda's. All I knew was that Amanda was in this online baking club that had her baking something every week and blogging about it, and I thought it sounded like a riot. So I joined TWD and started a blog. At the time, because I had not read food blogs, I did not realize that attractive food photographs are kind of the point. Since most of my blogging was done as a part of organized groups with participation requirements, I assumed that my pictures merely served as proof that I actually made the assigned recipe. Sort of like turning in homework. Eventually, as I started reading more and more blogs, and viewing stunning photograph after stunning photograph, it dawned on me that I had woefully misunderstood the significance of the pictures. Once I got a clue, I began trying, within the confines of my limited photographic and artistic talents, to take better pictures. I took the food outside in the late afternoon light. I thought about things like whether a particular bowl complemented the food. I garnished with mint leaves. I tried.

I say all that just to make it clear that I really, really wish that I did not have to post the following photograph. I wish it so much that I almost skipped posting today altogether -- but when I make something, it always seems foolish not to post, thereby wasting a permitted skip that could otherwise be used on a week that I don't bake. So here is my Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie, which I (1) turned into a parfait when my mini graham cracker crust fell apart, (2) accidentally burned with my blowtorch, and (3) photographed in my kitchen at approximately 10 p.m. And boy, does it show:


I fiddled with the photo editing software and tried to crop, adjust the light, etc. to help the situation, but nothing could help a lime pie that's been so abused. All I could do is post later in the day on Tuesday in the hopes of subjecting as few people as possible to this fugliness. I'm sorry if you're not one of the lucky ones.


I made one mini pie parfait for my husband. He really enjoyed it. I've made other (easier) key lime pies before (ones that don't require the whisking eggs over the stove routine) and he liked those a lot as well, so I'll probably stick with the easier kind (e.g., Mark Bittman's key lime pie from How to Cook Everything). Also, hubs prefers whipped cream to meringue, and I prefer whipping cream to whipping egg whites, so I'll stick with whipped cream going forward. But just because this probably won't be my go-to key lime pie does not mean that it wasn't wonderful. It was, says hubs! Linda of Tender Crumb picked the Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie - thanks for the great summer pick, Linda!

29 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Don't sell yourself short! (or your baking or you photography either) Your pie/parfait looks fine - delicious even. I can see why your hubs liked it. But since mine was a 2 day process to make, I can also see why you'd choose an easier recipe next time!! I'm glad that you took up food blogging, and I'd happily read your posts if they had no pictures.

Flourchild said...

How sweet your little pie looks! I think your photos look grand...have you seen mine..I mean HELLO Im really lacking if you think yours are bad!!=) I love your blog...

Di said...

I think your pie/parfait looks delicious. But I know what you mean about worrying about the photos. That's part of why I haven't posted my BBA cinnamon rolls yet. I took a couple of random pics, and then forgot to take any of the individual rolls, which are now a couple days old. *sigh* And like Nancy, I'm very glad that you took up food blogging. =)

Barbara Bakes said...

Your meringue is perfectly browned - I like the picture!

Anonymous said...

You get extra credit for a super-cute bowl! Your parfait really doesn't look bad though. I wasn't happy with my photo this week but I decided it wasn't worth dwelling on it.

I liked eating this, but it was a pain to make. I recently made Martha Stewart's key lime bars and they were way easier and really good.

Bella Baker said...

awww, you did a great job!! I took the easy way out on this and made the less labor intensive martha stewart version!

betty geek said...

I would still eat that! Looks good enough to me! :)

Teanna said...

Cathy, are you serious? I think it looks GREAT! Seriously! I love the shape that the meringue took.. I am sorry that it doesn't sound like it is a repeat make, but seriously, it looks great!

mike said...

Huh? Those are SO CUTE!!! How creative - I love the bowls, they fit perfectly with the whole look. The meringue looks perfectly browned. Don't sell yourself short - I didn't even make it THAT far! I'll take a photo of mine at night (on the counter).... cause we have the same granite pattern! :) Nicely done!!!

natalia said...

Ciao ! I love your dishware ! I would be more indulgent with yourself !! Sometimes the photo or the product isn't the best but we all love your posts so much we wouldn't miss it !!!!

Jennifer said...

I can understand the feeling about photos...I don't have one of those DSLR cameras and can't produce the photos that others can. I often think maybe that's why I don't have as many visitors! Ah, maybe someday. (Santa, are you out there????)

I always think your pictures are lovely and you are a wonderful blogger...you always make me laugh!

Your mini pie looks beautiful...even in the 10pm shadows.:)

Jessica said...

I'm pretty sure that you know my angst with photos, and yet taking good photos is so frustrating at times. And time consuming. And truth be told, I wish that it wasn't a race against the clock or the weather to get the good light. I so envy the bloggers who have partners/spouses that rock photography. Wouldn't it be so great to make something and then hand it off to be photographed?
It's all irrelevant though. I can tell you that I actually really like the pictures that you used. I like that we can see every part of the parfait, I love the scalloped bowl, and your meringue is seriously perfect. I have meringue envy.

Mary Ann said...

I think your pictures look good! You are being too hard on yourself- I totally understand the feeling though.
I like that you turned it into a parfait- it sounds so summery and light( I can pretend I don't know how much butter is in the lime cream)!

spike. said...

The meringue looks great! I never look at how the photos turn out until after everything is eaten and half the time wish I could re-shoot. Oh well!

Pamela said...

I don't know, Cathy...I think it looks pretty damn good! I like the dish it's in and the meringue looks pretty, not burnt at all. Another job well done, my friend!

The Food Librarian said...

Yummy! The photos look good - what are you talking about. And darn, that bowl is so adorable! Love it!

isa said...

Your parfait looks lovely and I love your presentation! Great job!

isa said...

Your parfait looks lovely and I love your presentation! Great job!

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great! Your meringue looks spectacular, not burned at all!

Deb in Hawaii said...

You are too funny! I think it looks good--perfect bowl for it and such great looking meringue too!

Unknown said...

I think it looks cute! My hubby hates meringue, so we would go for the whipped topping as well. Yay, for the parfait!

Cakelaw said...

I would gratefully hoe into this - looks good to me Cathy.

Kayte said...

I would eat it in a box, I would eat it with a fox, I would eat it anywhere...yep, it looks that good to me! Love the dishes you used to style everything...it does look lovely, despite your objections. One bowl...you made ONE BOWL of this??? That would never happen around here. The guys ate it all in one sitting. I had one small, and I mean small, piece. Definitely need to make this again and not tell them.

Anonymous said...

I think your parfait/pie looks wonderful. Your browning is perfect! You're too hard on yourself. :P

Anonymous said...

My introduction and thoughts about food blogging were the same. Had never read one til I joined TWD (accidentally found it online). My pictures are still crap but I have decided not to stress over it. I would be thrilled if all of mine looked as good as these did.

Leslie said...

Me too! The photography part of posting should be evidence that I did the assignment. I usually leave it too late or don't allow enough time and the photo is an afterthought. That said, I would be proud to post any of your photos (these especially) on my blog instead of my pathetic ones. Your meringue looks great! That browning is what people who use the broiler are striving for.

Linda said...

So, we both have TWD to thank for the start of our food blogs! Don't sell yourself short on your pics. I love how your meringue turned out and it looks delicious in your photos!

Thanks for baking along with me this week.

Katrina said...

Hey, I'm late getting around (as usual), but really, your "parfait" look really nice. For one, I LOVE the dish. And your meringue looks great.
I went all they way to making the lime cream, decided a pie wouldn't get eaten around here and turn the lime cream in to ice cream!
And your cinnamon rolls up above here look divine!

appetitzugler said...

Hi...
Thank you for sharing such a nice information on this pie. I would love this item. I am giving a party to my friends this weekend at my farmhouse. I was wondering about some new item to treat my friends with. I will surely try this and let you know.

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs