Thursday, August 27, 2009

Ellie: Chicken Saté with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce

I got to choose this week's recipe for CEiMB, and I picked the Chicken Saté with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce. I had a hard time choosing, of course, but since this one was on my short list back in January when I picked for the first time, when I saw that it was still available, I decided to go for it. After I sent my email to Sara, I suffered some picker's remorse and commenced serious hand wringing and second guessing. The ingredient list is so long! We just recently (like last week!) made recipes that had an Asian flair - is this redundant?! What will the vegetarians do?! What if everyone hates it?! But once I made it, I relaxed and felt really good about this pick. Let's face it: there's just something fun about food on a stick.


Despite the long ingredient list, both the marinade and the sauce came together pretty quickly. The chicken marinates for an hour in a marinade of chicken broth, light coconut milk, soy sauce, shallot, garlic, fish sauce (or more soy sauce, which is what I used), dark brown sugar, lime zest, and ginger. Then Ellie says to thread the chicken on skewers and grill in a grill pan, but when I tried them in a grill pan, the chicken would not lie flat because the long skewers came up over the rim of the pan. So I moved them over to a regular grill:



I'd skip the skewers next time I want to do this in a grill pan. Skewers or no skewers, this one is going to end up being a finger food - fair warning.

The chicken gets garnished with peanuts, basil and cilantro (except if you hate cilantro, then for the love -- don't use it!)

The chicken was great on its own. But hubs and I agreed that it was the peanut sauce that made this dish really outstanding. I mixed up all of the sauce ingredients with my trusty immersion blender: creamy peanut butter, chicken broth, soy sauce, dark brown sugar, lime juice, ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, red curry paste, and a shallot.



The sauce was sweet, spicy, smooth, creamy and utterly irresistible. I was so glad that it was just hubs and I eating this so any bowl-licking that took place could be overlooked. As good as the chicken was, next time I'm likely to just make the sauce and serve it with simple chicken grilled with salt and pepper - I felt like the sauce is what gave this dish most of its flavor, anyway. Ellie mentions that it's a "sublime" dip for raw vegetables, and I think it would be wonderful with grilled vegetables or tofu as well, or in a Thai noodle bowl -- so I really hope that the non-meat eaters in the group were able to find a way to enjoy this fabulous peanut sauce.

I hope that everyone enjoyed this recipe as much as we did!

Chicken Saté with Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce, 2006 Ellie Krieger, All Rights Reserved

Ingredients

1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup lite coconut milk
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 shallot, sliced thin
1 clove garlic, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce (or 2 additional teaspoons low sodium soy sauce)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast pounded slightly and cut into 1-inch strips

Directions

8 (8-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked for 20 minutes

3/4 cup Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce, recipe below
2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or cilantro leaves
1/4 cup chopped toasted peanuts
In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the chicken stock, coconut milk, soy sauce, shallot, garlic, fish sauce, brown sugar, lime zest, and ginger. Add the chicken strips and marinate for 1 hour. Remove the chicken from the marinade and discard the marinade.

Spray a nonstick grill pan with cooking spray and preheat over a medium-high flame. While pan is heating, thread chicken onto skewers. Grill 2 to 3 minutes per side, until meat is cooked through and has light grill marks.

Serve chicken skewers with Peanut Dipping Sauce, and garnish with basil or cilantro and chopped peanuts.

Yield: 4 servings (2 skewers and 2 tablespoons peanut sauce per serving)

Spicy Peanut Dipping Sauce:

1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1 teaspoon red curry paste
1 shallot, peeled and roughly chopped

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.

Sauce can be made 1 day ahead of time, and will keep 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator.

Yield: about 1 1/4 cups

35 comments:

Jessica said...

I loved this! I agree with you, the peanut sauce really makes the dish, and I kept sneaking little spoonfuls of it before dinner. Great, great pick!

Jennifer said...

That chicken looks delicious, Cathy! What a beautiful meal!

Mary Ann said...

Your chicken looks so good! I wish I could've gotten some grill marks on mine and my kids were in love with the skewers. Thanks for a fun dinner pick!

Peggy said...

this was really good Cathy. No complaints here. Did you see my post? It was beneath my BB one. Your chicken definitely looks way better than mine and you have a great photo!! I'm jealous. . .

Jennifer said...

Great pick this week Cathy! I loved it and will definitely be making it again. I loved the extra kick that that the basil and cilantro added at the end.

Barbara Bakes said...

I love my immersion blender too! The sauce really does look fabulous. Great choice.

Kayte said...

It's Thursday, and I know, planned this for last night but got home too late, so tonight it is! I will post after dinner and before bed and it will still be Thursday...I hope! Yours looks so good! I love those grill marks and the thought of that sauce with the chicken looks delightful. I was afraid it would be like peanut butter and thick, but it looks nice and smoothly creamy and drippy! Drippy is always good, I have found (well, not with chocolate, but with everything else). Thanks for picking this...it would be on my short list also so I am excited to give it a try.

Bella Baker said...

Your chicken looks INCREDIBLE! I love that photo! This was such a fun and delicious recipe, so don't second guess your pick, it was a great one!!!

MacDuff said...

AWESOME pick. We need to do more meats on a stick. I wonder if Ellie has a recipe for corndogs?

Your pictures are to die for...by the way.

Pam said...

The sauce looks and sounds tasty.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I could just dive into that plate with the chicken, cilantro, and peanuts! I'm glad your pick turned out to be so fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am not part of this group so I, of course, didn't make this. BUT, as a vegetarian, I love peanut sauces and we use them all the time in our house...noodle dishes, tofu wraps, etc. I am sure this was a great choice.

Mary said...

Great recipe...thanks for picking it!

sara said...

This was a great pick, so yummy. I rarely make food on a stick, so I really enjoyed this one, and the sauce was truly the star here.

Anonymous said...

Great pick. Agree about the sauce being the highlight.

Leslie said...

I wish I hadn't missed this one! It looks fabulous and the flavors are some of my favorites. It's going on my to do list... (not the one where projects go to die, but the recipes I want to make...those usually happen).

Teanna said...

I think you made an AWESOME choice - the best kind of food is on a stick if you ask me! Gorgeous - I'm totally bookmarking this one!

Anonymous said...

Peanut sauce anything is always a good choice in my opinion.

Amy I. said...

So glad you wound up sticking with this recipe as your choice, we loved it, especially the sauce! I wound up skipping the skewers and using a grill pan (our grill was making scary noises). Not the most traditional preparation, but it definitely worked! Thanks for a great pick :)

Melissa said...

I think you made a great pick, this looks great! And that peanut sauce sounds delicious!

Rachel said...

Thanks for the great pick this week!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for selecting this. It is now on "My favorites". Everyone like it, particularly the sauce. You are a smart gal to pick this.

Pamela said...

LOVED THIS! I have some dipping sauce left over and will definitely be adding it to some noodles. Can't let all of that goodness go to waste! Great pick, Cathy.

Liz said...

Mmmm, sounds delicious! I'm not a member of the CEimB group but I AM a member of the peanut sauce appreciator's club, so I will be making this in the next week or so. Yum!

Mary-Irene said...

Hey there! I don't know how you manage to do food blogging for two groups who require posting on Thursdays with as busy as you are! The chicken satay looked really good. That's a recipe that I would have chosen for sure.
Did you do the barefoot bloggers white pizza yet, it's a good one too!

Di said...

That sounds really delicious. I love the first picture.

Anonymous said...

I'm a sucker for peanut sauce but I haven't made it forever. This is going on the short list of dinner ideas!

The Blonde Duck said...

Everything is better on a stick!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Great minds run together! Yours looks fantastic and these have to be the best pictures you've taken of your masterpieces so far!

Alyssa said...

Thanks for such a great pick! I make this weekly and LOVE it!

Happy Friday!

Alyssa

Audrey said...

I fell in love with Ina's chinese chicken salad which has a peanutty dressing...and this looks like an even more delicious version. On the list! (I think you made a great pick, and I'm not even in the club!)

Anne said...

Wow I love that top picture- the chicken looks amazing! I'll have to try the sauce, it sounds so yummy!

Anonymous said...

Life kind of got in the way last week so I didn't get a chance to make this; I think the long ingredient list intimidated me after a long, exhausting day. But, I did put it on the menu again this week and look forward to actually eating it. Great choice

Unknown said...

I love your pick! I've never had sate in my life but I've always been intrigued by it. Great pics - they make me wish I had the ingredients on hand to make this for dinner tonight!

Sara Reid said...

Awesome post!! I really like it .. i will try Chicken Saté with spicy peanut dipping sauce.. I also love the soya sauce. thanks for the recipe.. Enjoy!!!

diet pills

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs