Tuesday, November 16, 2010

TWD: Cranberry Orange Galette


This week's TWD recipe is the wonderfully seasonal Cranberry Lime Galette. When I saw that this was on the calendar, I initially thought that I'd make it for our wedding anniversary, which happened to fall on the weekend before the galette was due. It never occurred to me in the first 10 years of our marriage to bake pies to celebrate our anniversary, but then I started baking, and when you bake as much as I do, you make the dessert fit whatever occasion happens to pop up (and you actually invent whole new occasions so that you have an excuse to eat the dessert). As I read the recipe through when still thinking it would be the anniversary pie, I decided to go with the cranberry orange version, which Dorie describes as "a little less edgy but no less enticing" -- that seemed to fit a 12th anniversary just perfectly. But then we were invited to attend the Thanksgiving feast at David's grandmother's retirement home, and the "Baked Good Foisting Opportunity" bells just started blaring furiously in my head; we'd have to find another way to celebrate 12 years of wedded bliss, because this Cranberry Orange Galette would be taking its rightful place on the retirement home dessert table.

I made Dorie's pie crust again, and I think this was my best/most successful pie crust ever. I even rolled something approximating a circle. But I must have been spending too much time congratulating myself on the crust and not enough time concentrating on the filling, because I forgot the fresh ginger (which I think would have added a nice dimension to the other flavors). The rest of the filling was easy - cranberries, apples, dried cranberries, brown sugar, orange zest, orange marmalade.


Top the crust with a ground nut/bread crumb mix and then the filling, fold the edges up, then bake.

This baked up beautifully and was a rustic, yet attractive (in a homely way), dessert. We (the extended family) decided that David and his brother would attend the feast, because we knew the energy level at the party would be high enough without my 8, 5 and 3 year old running around. I packed it up carefully for David and made sure that he knew to tell the person in charge that there were nuts in the dessert (in case of nut allergies) and also sugar, fat, gluten, etc. -- basically, this pie was one big, delicious dietary violation. I also told him that he had to eat a piece and report back to me, and with that, I sent him on his way. When he got back later that evening, he gave me some general positive reviews about the galette, which was fine at the time, but when I sat down to write this post I told him that I needed descriptive adjectives, and "the galette was good" wouldn't cut it. So he told me it was "tart." And then he added "I figured you'd just say that it baked up well. The crust was perfect. All the old people loved it, and there was none left. It was a nice departure from the sea of pecan pies."

Whitney, April and Elizabeth of Celestial Confections chose this galette. Thanks for the crowd-pleading pick, ladies!

11 comments:

Leslie said...

I bet the folks at your grandmother's retirement home would have LOVED to have the kids around. Seriously, young kids make us all feel good, usually right before they make us feel exhausted. It looks great, and congrats on your best pie crust to date!

Check out my giveaway ($100 Visa gift card). You'll have to click a link at the end of my pie crust post, but it's worth it!

Di said...

Happy anniversary! The galette looks like it turned out great, and I'm sure it was very appreciated by the recipients. =)

Mary said...

Nothing is better for the TWD members than a Baked Good Foisting Opportunity...I have taken to dropping off packages with neighbors and driving away.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I agree with David - and the old people - this galette was good, and it was tart. I'd take it over pecan pie any day. Now you'll have to let us know what you baked for your anniversary (or did you go out to eat, and let someone else take care of cooking/baking for that occasion?)

Happy Anniversary!

Unknown said...

I love foisting baked goods, especially on unsuspecting senior citizens! Although now you are making me think...I should have baked something for my 10th anniversary a couple of weeks ago! I think I did bake something that week, but it was not earmarked for the anniversary. Whoops...

Your tart does look delicious, and I'm sure that the seniors loved it.

Unknown said...

Happy belated anniversary Cathy! I'm with Nancy - let us know what you make :)

I'm always looking for opportunities to foist baked goods on others, and I definitely would have sent several with Shane to an occasion like this. I bet it was a huge hit, it's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that people of any age would have loved your galette! I always look forward to my husband's reviews. He used the word "goo" this week - in a good way, of course.

Anonymous said...

We celebrated 12 years this year, too. Flys by...
David was right. The tart was tart.

Kayte said...

It sounds like it went over well, and it certainly looks lovely. It's been one of those weeks and I haven't made it yet, so am thinking I might not get to it...but then I see yours and I think that I SHOULD get to it...tart usually goes really well with ice cream or whipping cream, right? Right!

mike said...

I tell you, I could move into one of those retirement homes like *that*, just like *that*. The ones I visit here, the people are so friendly and welcoming - even though I'm decades away, I think it would be wonderful... but enough about aging. I'm SURE they loved it - it was homemade and looked delicious! I thought it was great fun, but mine was a disaster. But it's all about Anniversaries - happy belated!

maai man said...

found her blog on marie's wall. its worth reading thanks
https://www.shekitchen.com/

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs