Thursday, January 8, 2009

Barefoot: Banana Sour Cream Pancakes and CEIMB: Fried Rice with Edamame, Scallions, and Tofu Chicken


Thursdays are busy these days, with both the Barefoot Bloggers and the Craving Ellie In My Belly-ers (ites?) posting on Thursdays (which is either the third or fourth best day of the week, depending on who you ask). The Barefoot recipe this week is Banana Sour Cream Pancakes, chosen by Karen of Something Sweet By Karen. I made these for breakfast last Sunday morning. I was really excited about them, because Ina said that Jeffrey crowned these the winner after a day-long pancake competition -- and if they are good enough for the former Undersecretary of Commerce for International Trade, they are good enough for me. Also, there is a restaurant in Charlottesville, VA called the Tavern (slogan: "Where Students, Tourists and Townspeople Meet"):



that serves some incredible banana pecan pancakes -- I always ordered them when I was a student in C'Ville. I loved the idea of being able to recreate banana pecan pancake nirvana in my own home.



The secret ingredients in these are sour cream, vanilla and lemon zest. And bananas, but those aren't really a secret. I added pecans to a few of them because I have a bunch left over from all that Christmas baking, and because I thought that bananas and pecans would help me more closely replicate the authentic Tavern experience (minus the hangover)(just kidding, Mom!) I thought these were wonderful. Light and fluffy, banana-y, nutty. A subtle lemon flavor that adds interest. Perfect! I savored a bite, threw out a casual "well, what do you think?," and then sat back and waited to be showered with praise and adoration:

David: They are good. I like them. But you know me, I'm kind of a "less is more" guy when it comes to pancakes. And cooked bananas -- eh, not so much.

Jacob: Bananas? These have bananas in them? No wonder they don't taste normal!!

Elizabeth: They are gross! (Followed by a stern talking-to about how we are grateful for the food on our table and we do NOT under any circumstances call food gross).

Okay, for those of you keeping score at home: if you like normal food, these are not the pancakes for you; if you are a pancake minimalist, these are not the pancakes for you; if you have not voluntarily eaten anything but chicken nuggets, Betty Crocker fruit treats or Honey Nut Cheerios since late 2006, these are not the pancakes for you.

[Be sure to tune in for next week's episode of "Sunday Morning Breakfast" as Cathy sits on the sofa with her coffee and the Style section and directs everyone else to the boxes of cereal in the pantry].

I will make these pancakes again, because I think they are really great pancakes. I will simply hold the bananas for everyone except Caroline (who gobbled these up, of course) and me. Problem solved! Great recipe!



The CEIMB recipe this week is Fried Rice with Edamame, Scallions and Tofu, chosen by Jennifer of Running With Food. I decided to make this with chicken instead of tofu, because we've never really gotten into tofu. But boy, are we ever into chicken!!

This one is quick and easy. Saute the garlic, ginger and scallions until aromatic. Add the rice, edamame, red bell pepper, corn and tofu chicken and cook for a few minutes. Then the fun part -- make a well in the middle of the pan, drop in a couple of eggs, and scramble.



Well, it was fun for me, anyway. I don't get out much though. Mix it all together and add soy sauce. The only thing I will do differently next time is to play around with the soy sauce. I thought that the straight soy sauce was a bit harsh in the fried rice. Ellie has a great recipe for teriyaki sauce that she uses as a marinade for pork tenderloin. I'll probably try that the next time I make this (possibly making the pork for dinner one night, and using the leftover pork and some reserved teriyaki sauce in the fried rice the next). We really enjoyed this fried rice, though. I've never made fried rice before, but it is so easy; it's tailor made for playing around with the meats/vegetables/soy protein you put in it; and it is very healthy when prepared Ellie's way. This one's a keeper!

Many thanks to Jennifer and Karen for picking a couple of outstanding recipes to kick off the New Year!

41 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Cathy, I always worry that there will not be a "laugh really loud even though I'm by myself" moment in your posts, but then I read them, and laugh, and know I shouldn't have fretted. Your family's reactions to the pancakes killed me. I say enjoy that coffee, and the style section (NYT, I hope) and let them bring breakfast to you. You like Honey Nut Cheerios, right?

And that restaurant was called "Sarge's" when I was in C-ville. It was THE place to go on Sunday am to see one or more Walks of Shame (but without the shame, really). And the pancakes were good then, too.

I'm not really sure when tofu will catch up with me, but I'm not betting it will be 2009. The fried rice looks good, though, and I think the pork plan sounds sound.
Nancy

Barbara Bakes said...

Your post about the pancakes made me laugh! I think I would get the same reaction at my house! I htink they sound great!

Audrey said...

You can cook for us anytime...we'll definitely praise and adore you!

Susan @ My Wholefood Family Essentials said...

I think they both look delicious!

Mary Ann said...

Cathy- I thought I had a few picky eaters! I didn't have any complaints about the pancakes. sorry! At least you loved them right?
Your fried rice looks great. Chicken would be really good in it, but I love tofu! (Wierd, I know)

Cakelaw said...

These pancakes look soooo good. I could use a batch right now.

Deb in Hawaii said...

Great post--very funny! I hope you put your feet up on the coffee table while enjoying your coffee and paper next week! You deserve it!

The fried rice looks yummy too!

Anonymous said...

First of all, I don't know how you manage being a Barefoot Blogger and an Elly in your Belly-er (Belly-ite sounds to much like cellulite. And by the way, there's something disturbingly cannibalistic about the whole Craving Elly in My Belly title. Great group. Unfortunate title). I can just about keep up with the ones I'm in.

Secondly, I love that raw and brutal honesty that children are so very good at. I would gladly drop everything to sit down to enjoy any episode of "Sunday Morning Breakfast" It sounds like a hit! A nice addition to the very latest in television: cooking reality shows.

Andrea at Nummy Kitchen said...

I love the banana pecan combo, sounds delicious! I'm sorry these weren't a hit with your kids, I was surprised to find something that all three of mine liked. That teriyaki sauce sounds good, we had teriyaki last night but I didn't even think to look for a homemade sauce recipe. I hope you and your family are having a wonderful New Year and that you soon find some recipes that all of your family will enjoy :)

Jamie said...

Funny...both recipes sound delicious...not I cannot decide if I want pancakes or fried rice for dinner!

Cathy said...

Thanks everyone! The pancakes are really great, I promise!

Nancy, I think most UVA walks of shame these days end up at Bodo's, and the Sarge's/The Tavern is reserved for "special occasion" walks of shame.

Lady Baker said...

Clearly Caroline is the go-to for opinions from here on out!!!

Melissa said...

Great selections by both groups for this week. I think the pancakes sound delicious. And I've never made fried rice before, but you make it looks so easy... and good!

Maria said...

Both recipes look good to me! I love the healthy version of fried rice! Edamame is so tasty!!

Jessica said...

It always makes me happy to know that I'm not the only person who heads straight for the style section of the paper.
I'd probably have Jacob's reaction -- I am not the biggest fan of bananas. I guess there are some ways in which we never get past the childhood picky phases. The fried rice looks fantastic and I am definitely going to try it.

Cathy said...

Lis -- you know that it's just my luck that the one person in my family who's on "my side" doesn't talk yet.

Anonymous said...

Hi.. I hope you don't mind me following you from another foodie blogger.. but I really enjoyed reading your post.. you are so humble, and the darling hubby and kiddies BRUTAL, but I have had one to many -- that I have sung to my own tune (in the cooking dept).. but then again I ate creamora by the spoonfuls growing up as a kid.

chocolatechic said...

We just loved these pancakes.

I wish I had thought to put nuts in the batter.

Meryl said...

I'm so sad that I didn't think of the pecans! I have a ton and that would have been wonderful.

Peggy said...

Cathy you crack me up. But you have made me wish I had made the pancakes. Maybe I'll be late and do it this weekend. Didn't you just love the fried rice and so very easy to make. What do those kids know anyway? Bring those pancakes to work and you and I will scarf them down in no time flat!

Pam said...

I think the pancakes look really tasty but the fried rice is calling my name. YUM.

Aggie said...

These pancakes were great, love that you added pecans!!

Mmmm...loving that fried rice!!

You are a busy girl in the kitchen!!

NKP said...

Ha! I still have one on the chicken nugget and Honey Nut Cheerios diet. Only he has to go buy them himself now as I have stopped - seeing that he is 17!
Boys!
I will happily come over for banana pancakes - they sound great. There's coffee too, right?

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Chicken was a stroke of brilliance. NO ONE here (except maybe me) will touch tofu. Thaks for saving this one from being a nuh uh no way recipe.

Anonymous said...

pecans... i should have tried that with a couple of mine. glad you liked them but guess they can't win everyone over according to the commentary! :) and if i had time for the ellie group, i'd totally be there. i really love that book, but making two things for thursday posting might mean i'd have to call in sick to work to get it all done! :P

Steph said...

Feed me Cathy!! I would eat those up. We never have pancakes.. mostly because we don't have a nonstick grill or pan (can you believe that?!) For a while, my mom had a thing where she would not cook with anything with nonstick coating.

The egg scramble thing is fun.. I love sauteing things for the noise, it makes me feel all professional and actually cooking. Anyway, I think you did a great job!!

Heather said...

those pancakes sound insane!!!!!!!! and i love a good edamame! such a tasty snack :)

Unknown said...

our family are always our worst critic, but they are honest... i get those comments one too many too...lol... but i'm sure my hubby will love these... they REALLY look great... happy new year!!! :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

I added pecans too. They were delicious.

Leslie said...

Your pancakes look amazing! I loved the fried rice and was also skeptical about putting the eggs in the middle to cook. The only thing I didn't care for was how the soy sauce colored the dish...I thought it was prettier before the soy sauce was added.

pigpigscorner said...

I like adding sour cream in my pancakes too! and bananas.....yummy!

Anonymous said...

Barefoot Blogger newbie here! I made half with bananas and half without 'cause I knew there would be some moanin' and groanin', even from the husband. He did try a banana one and said it reminded him if banana bread. I really liked them a lot, too!

Anonymous said...

Oh, did I laugh out loud regarding the kids' reactions. The number of "special" breakfasts I have made that ended up in the disposal. For shame. (Who doesn't want hot muffins for breakfast?) Colin is a proud card carrying member of the Honey Nut Cheerios diet club. Makes me crazy.
And thursday night is almost my favorite time of the week. the anticipation...

Anonymous said...

My kids are just like that! I would have to make three types in my house to please them all including my husband. I wonder at times why I try.

Pamela said...

Finally! I'm getting caught up on my reader and I'm so happy to finally make it to you!! LOL about the hangover remark...I'm so sure you were kidding. :o) Both of these look great! And the chicken was a good sub for the tofu.

Di said...

There are honey nut cheerios in my pantry even as I type this... Caroline may not be able to speak up for your side, but isn't it nice to have at least one child who can't complain about everything? =) Gillian still eats most of what I put in front of her and fortunately I don't hear "I no like it" much. Brianna is a whole different story...

Anonymous said...

The only gripe I got about the pancakes was the lemon zest. Well, the next day our friend that came for dinner casually asked me if I could make them for him again... without the bananas. Oh, well. You can't win em all.
~Cat

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Hi Cathy-
I'm back to say that I've got another fabulous bread - King Arthur is a beginning yeast baker's best friend! It's their Blitz Bread (sort of an easy peasy focaccia). I'm not sure when I'm going to post it, but their blog has fab directions, ofc. Also, I answered your question about the mixer on my bread post. You might want to order the instant yeast if you can't find it. I think we got ours at Whole Foods.
Nancy

The Blonde Duck said...

Awww! I'll come have pancakes with you!

Sweet as Coco said...

your story about the pancakes made me laugh. Is this what I have to look forward to when I have kids...them hating my cooking? Too funny. I think they look great!!

Suzie said...

What a funny post! Don't you hate it when they don't love what you make. Hope the cereal taught them a thing or two - maybe to love banana pancakes?

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs